Monday, June 7, 2010

Red Dead Has Set Me Down a Dark Path

Red Dead Redemption lets me hunt. I can tie up women and put them in the path of speeding locomotives. I can rob innocents and gun down people at random. Out of all the darker themes I could emulate, gambling has taken a hold of me.

Official game of outlaws and marauders the world over!


In the beginning, I was looking to unlock new outfits. Later on in the game, I needed to partake in gambling in order to continue unlocking outfits such as the bandito costume and federal army outfit. At first I needed to play liar's dice and I completely hated it. The complete lack of control and the reliance on luck. Not even natural luck but luck generated by a computer.

How do I know the computer doesn't know I have three 2s, a 4 and a 3? In blackjack, I could never beat the dealer at Rathskeller Fork, let alone actually playing real blackjack. I always seemed to get the wrong math. Maybe a jack then a 5. I'd either bust or the house would beat me.

But as I played liar's dice and texas hold'em more, I got more and more used to it. Gauging the numbers and if they'd be in my favor or not and contemplating the chances if my guess is unlikely or very likely. And probably the biggest thrill: being right when the odds are stacked against you.

In unlocking the bandito outfit, I already lost three of my dice while one opponent lost one and the last hadn't lost any at all. Then the man before me bids that 2 two-numbered dice are on the table between everyone. I get a gut feeling and decide luck is on my side. I bet that the bid is spot on, that there is exactly 2 two-numbered dice between the 12 dice on all of us, and the game slowly reveals the dice slowly and painfully.

I have zero two-numbered dice, the next has one, and the last finally has one as well. I was spot on and both opponents had to discard a die for my extraordinary guesswork.

Gambling in Red Dead is one thing, but now I've acquired a taste for it. I want to play more, and with people who actually think. People who actually react, try to deceive, and try to hide behind poker faces. Next thing you know, I'll buy a deck of cards and ask my friends to texas hold'em, even though I can't cheat like John Marston can, hiding a card in his sleeve.

I'll go to my local hobby shop and buy a load of dice to play liar's dice. And I'll start small, from quarters, slowly working my way up to dollars, to increments of $5, to increments of $20. Even if I can't tilt the odds in my favor with clever sleight of hand, Red Dead just might have started me on a dark path with it's harmless virtual gambling.

And it all started as incentive to just unlocking a costume that'd make me look like a mexican outlaw. Not some shady online gambling, but something more harmless.

DO WANT

I can imagine it now, recreating one of my most tense moments ever. One-on-one liar's dice, two dice left, one for each us. It's my opponent's turn and with a greasy, toothless smile, he bids that there's one 4-numbered die somewhere on this table. I tilt my hat and look at my hand. I have one 5 under my cup, which means it comes down to a 50-50 guess.

Do I believe that this smelly, dusty hick has a 4? Or is he bluffing? A dust mote drifts though the air in front of me as I ponder my $200 ante on the line. It's time for the moment of truth. Spot on. We lift our cups. I have a 5. And my opponent has a 4. Toothless Dan stands up in disgust while I simply tilt my hat and collect my prize.

"Sorry fellas. Looks like lady luck is on my side today."

No comments: