Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Accounts of the new Xbox 360 Slim

The following is my account of owning the new Xbox for a few days and how it's different and changed my habits that were made with the old Xbox.

10am Friday, 6/18/10: I woke up and got on my laptop to check my email and rss before taking a shower. I talk to my girlfriend via skype when I decide to call Best Buy on a whim to check their stock of new Xboxes. After finding out there have “a few” in stock, I dropped everything I was doing to drive down there and buy one.

11am: After packing in my old Xbox and installing the new one, I immediately notice how glossy it is. I see reflections all over and can see every bit of sheen and dust falling on it. I watch tv through Directv and after booting up my new Xbox for a few minutes, I realize I need to change my set up. The Directv box had sat on top of my old, horizontal Xbox which is now where a new vent is located on the new one, so I'm forced to rearrange my flat screen and tv box to fit my Xbox's ventilation needs.


1pm: I've left my Xbox on while I did my laundry downstairs. While coming back upstairs, I wonder if my Xbox is still on. That's how quiet the new Xbox is compared to the old one. I could hear my Xbox from outside my room before but now I don't know if it's on or not unless I'm actually playing.

3pm Saturday, 6/19/10: I've been planning a movie party for a month now and it'll begin in an hour or so. It's convenient that the Xbox now has built in wifi. If I were to use my old Xbox, I'd need to move my modem and buy a 50 ft ethernet cable to get netflix to work on my Xbox when I moved it to my downstairs den. The wifi reaches my network fine and I stream Street Fighter: The Movie without a hitch (it was bad movie night).

7pm Sunday 6/20/10: I find out the Crackdown 2 demo was available so I begin downloading it. I turn off my Xbox to watch tv and let it download in the background. While using my laptop opposite of my tv screen, I constantly turn around to check my Xbox because I can't hear it. I need to check if the green light will flash to see if it's still on and downloading.

No comments: