Monday, September 7, 2009

Splosion Man: everything you want as long as they're splosions

As someone who's into fight games, I tend to gravitate towards certain games. I'm obsessive about beating a game with everything I can collect or beat. 1998: Banjo-Kazooie and to this day I'm still collecting those damn jiggies on the Xbox Live version. Just last year I played Mega Man 9, while still infuriatingly hard, is easier then most other Mega Man games, and I loved how it took no prisoners. Now I'm at the end of summer and playing Splosion Man.

Splosion Man is about a man who splodes (presumably, exploding) his way through the scientific laboratory he was supposedly created in. He has no qualms against the men who created him. It's just that he can only do one thing, and do it well he does. He splodes.

All you need to do is get from point A to point B, start to finish. When you explode, it's usually to jump, which he can do two more times in mid air. He can also splode to wall jump, and course just to destroy everything around him.Only problem is that the levels get progressively harder and more complex to traverse with a variety of ways to die, often times simple one hit kill scenarios like falling acid or being crushed. Other times you'll encounter enemies who simply knock you around, and if they do it enough, you die.

I haven't even passed the first world yet, and I know the levels are gradually stacking the odds against me. As a gamer used to Japanese game design (difficult, relentless, heavy memorization) I take a certain amount of joy of try, try, and try again game play. Some will definitely get frustrated, but the game is rewarding beyond design. It has a wacky sense of humor that'll have you laughing all the way.

For 800 points, it's a nice game that won't break your wallet a whole lot. You get a meaty single player campaign, an enjoyable multiplayer campaign, and loads of rewards like gamerpics and bragging rights.

No comments: