Monday, September 21, 2009

Re-entering Oblivion: Top 7 thing I'm gonna do.

Oblivion went up for Games on Demand and it was a nice thought. Then I got into Fallout 3 seriously because of all the DLC they had released for it. Then I remembered Oblivion was made by the same guys as the dudes who made Fallout 3. Then I got a coupon for 20% off any used game at Gamestop and promptly forgot about the meagerly overpriced digital download version.
I bought Oblivion again for three reasons.

1) I have yet to achieve the other achievements in the game, from fighter's guild quests to the main quest line, I left a lot of shit unfinished in the game because it was frankly, huge.

2) As mentioned before, I really got into Fallout 3, and figured I should go back and revisit Bethesda's earlier works.

3) I had a coupon from Jack's Big Rip Off that I was dying to use on something. It expires on October 18th after all.

Oblivion is a huge, expansive fantasy RPG world filled with all sorts of random things to do that would make a wizard's head spin. But some are more interesting then others, and I'm excited at doing them, whether I did them before or not.

  • Join the Dark Brotherhood: This quest line never gets old, and joining an assassin's guild is always awesome. My particular favorite is eliminating all the oblivious guests who think they're inheriting a house if they stay the night.

"I end up in debt then suddenly get offered a house! Totally not suspicious!"
  • Craft a frenzy spell: Why kill indiscriminately and become known as a killer when you can subtly provoke people and become the victim? All while the town guards come to your rescue to boot! It's not murder! It's self-defense!
  • Kill everyone: Of course, why be subtle when you can use the diplomacy of violence? Just make a separate save file in case you kill everyone. You can't very well sell your dungeon crawling spoils to corpses can you?


Graveyard? Or place of business? You be the judge.
  • Complete the main questline: I'm not gonna spoil anything per se, but there are giants involved.
  • Obtain the Cowl of the Grey Fox: A gift after completing the thief guild's questline, the Cowl of the Grey Fox essentially gives you two identities to screw with. You can be a goody two shoes during the daytime then put the cowl on and start all sorts of shenanigans later. All crime done with the cowl on is attributed to the mysterious criminal, the Grey Fox. It's like a get out of jail free card!

Not very flattering, but no one will confuse me with this ugly shot.
  • Explore: First time I got the game, I was very shortsighted. Now that I have it for a second time, I'm just gonna get out there and explore (hopefully with enough equipment to meet whatever danger lurks out there). Fallout was pretty big, but it was pretty concentrated in terms of density. Oblivion is just plain huge. Like, San Andreas huge; dead zones and all.


This is what happens when nothing exists between Los Angeles, San Fransisco, and Las Vegas.

Seriously, just imagine wandering the countryside, with nothing better to do then pillage caches of treasure, wrecking people's shit, and generally leaving a path of destruction consisting of dead, flaming marauders and chopped up trolls. "I'm here to role play and kick ass. And I'm all outta dice."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love Oblivion. I lost nearly a hundred hours of my life wandering it's expansive map. I often go back to it but, like you, I fell for Fallout 3. Bethesda really are the masters of the western RPG world. I can't wait for Fallout: New Vegas.

Regards,

TGG