Monday, April 13, 2009

Never Mind Control the Unluckiest Adventurer

Wednesday I decided enough is enough and level skip everyone in my DnD campaign. My other campaign just got cancelled due to inconsistent scheduling and I was just two levels away from getting my second job class (called a paragon class).

So now everyone is level 11, ripe for their paragon classes, and some decide to even craft new characters to try new classes, especially the new ones introduced with the new primal power source. Ron, for example, scrapped his ranger in favor of the new druid class.

But this wasn't all about giving my players a new sense of power at level 11. No, with my players at level 11, I could now throw much more interesting monsters at them! Case in point, the Exalted Brain in a Jar.

I didn't have much of a story. Just throw together a flimsy excuse to start a fight. New guilds breaking the rules? Ok, we're in a guild too, so let's show'em how its done! Then, throw a big zombie pack at them as a feint to get them used to the new powers. Then, suddenly, bam! Someone just got dominated out of nowhere. In other words, brainwashed by a mysterious, as of seen entity.

By dominating Ron's druid, I could command him to attack his own allies in addition to attacking them directly with the Brain's psychic attacks. Unfortunately, Ron was terrible at throwing his dice, because he kept throwing twos and threes on his attacks. It was the equivalent of just putting Ron to sleep and having him become useless rather then brainwashing him and turning him against each other. 

No comments: