Saturday, February 28, 2009

Great graphics, cheap tv

I understand video games have really pushed the envelope lately in terms of graphical output, but these days, it's just frustrating me now.

It all started with Dead Rising. The fiascos started when your story based partner would radio you via walkie talkie with (useless, inane) information. They popped up as text boxes rather then actual audio. Problem is though, the people over at Capcom made the assumption that everyone in their core demographic had really nice tvs.

They didn't.

The text was next to unreadable because the dimensions of the text boxs were made under the assumption that the running tv would be a big ol' HDTV flat screen. I remember when I played on my old sdtv, even squinting made the text look like little angry folks. It got a lot of coverage back then and Capcom was even forced to consider sending out a patch that made the text compatible with sdtvs.

But that wasn't the end. No, the problem for me, and probably many others, is that we're later adopters to newer television technologies (READ: shit poor). I'm now playing Street Fighter IV, and the problem has just arisen again. I want to compare myself to friends on the leaderboards, but half the time, I don't even know what kind of board I'm comparing myself to. Is this time trial? Ranked matches? Battle points?

Really, I hope not every game in the future is like this. Please think about the kids back home who playing games on the tvs in their rooms. Fancy tvs in the best circumstances are usually relugated to family rooms, but for me, I game in my room. And in my room, I have a cheapo tv that not only creates the small text effect, but the reds bleed out on my tv. That's how old it is. A specific color of the spectrum can't even display properly.

So I'll be gaming with the best graphics consoles have to offer while the red headband is fades onto my character's face.

No comments: