Saturday, December 20, 2008

Fable II: Ooooh God! Are we there yet?

Fable II has some good things going for it. Combat is pretty fun with three distinct styles of combat: melee, ranged, and magic.

Problem is, I can't seem to bring myself to like it, much less play it.

The problem is that I've played lots of Bethesda games, which involve moral ambiguity. Fable II certainly has some fun aspects to it. Characters actually react to you depending on your image. Do they like and respect you, or cower in fear?

But I definitely hate some things, like the safety. Just like a gun, you have a safety that prevents accidental attacks on innocents... and I absolutely hate this damn safety. In Fallout 3, you didn't have a safety, and sure, accidentally killing someone you didn't mean to sucks. But that how it rolls in a game that plays up moral choices, even if it's a hilarious misfire you can simply laugh off with a dry, "Aaaah woops!"

Everytime I want to kill some innocent smuck, I have to turn off the safety. Sure I can leave it off, but the safeetyt option is appears as a shortcut on my d-pad, which I could use as space for other shortcuts like certain options while talking to people.

Also, it takes forever to do any one thing in Fable II. The thing I hate about the unskippable dialogue is that I'm in a third person view. I'm therefore, much less engaged to the conversations aimed at me. I also have trouble hearing the speech because the camera for some reason is not only my eyes, but my ears. So I have to swing the camera around someplace to just fucking hear them!

And there's not much to the questing besides kill x number of bad guys until everyone's hunky dorey. At least Fallout 3 gave me some conversational choices and stuff. Apparently Fable II is much more lawless then I first thought.

No comments: