Thursday, August 12, 2010

I'm Missing Out on the Xbox Summer of Arcade

By itself, $15 doesn't  bother me too much. One Xbox arcade game is fine and dandy. But three games?

I know Limbo is good. The trial already told me that the atmosphere accomplished so much with only two shades and a lack of BGM. But I have to make economic decisions. I'm not interested at all in Tomb Raider and the last three seem to offer me a lot of bang for my buck. Hydro Thunder Hurricane, Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, and Monday Night Combat.

Ok, so Hydro Thunder and Harmony of Despair have received sketchy reviews, but I am the target demographic those games cater to. I loved Hydro Thunder when it was a sit down arcade cabinet, complete with wheel and throttle with light up red button. I was proud of the fact that I knew how to select the secret boat, Tinytanic. I've loved pretty much every Castlevania since Symphony of the Night. Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia, all Castlevnia games I loved that weren't exactly very different from one another. And Monday Night Combat? Please, I've been following that since it's announcement. What was that? Two years ago? Finally, Team Fortress 2 but on a console and supported for by the developer post-launch (those guys on the Orange Box still don't have the Backburner I hear).

But $45? I'm struggling with this price tag. Even after receiving a solution, promised credit to Gamestop and Amazon, this credit has yet to appear before me to actually use (they're still enroute from shipping).

Until then, I'm either going to keep going back again and again to their trial demos or will stick with Blazblue: Continuum Shift.

No comments: