Tuesday, January 26, 2010

2010: A new year to spend money on

A month into 2010 and it finally dawned on me that there are some very interesting games to look forward to. I don't really get this feeling halfway into the year. Sure I got Blazblue halfway, but that's a special case of the revival of the 2D fighter. Now moving completely into 2010 (along with an intimidating Mass Media Law class) I've realized all those demos I've played and previews I've read are about to come to fruition. These are the games I'm putting money down.

Mass Effect 2

Here's the thing about me and ME1: I never finished ME1 because it was immensely boring to me halfway through. After driving around in that god awful Mako for the bazillionth time, in a story mission no less involving opening gates on foot and getting back in no less, I had enough. I simply wasn't having fun in the time I was allotted. Item management was a maze to me, and exploration was not rewarding. I mean, how is exploring the same world with different textures applied over it really exploring? And I wasn't alone in this thought (especially on the inventory system). But apparently ME2 is a a crowning glory since it's out by now if you're reading this. Hell, IGN makes it sound like a delirious second coming of Christ, and I'll admit it looks funner and they directly address my gripe on exploring boring worlds, so it must be better. Unfortunately, I'll only get real mileage out of by importing my save fro ME1 (which I don't have of course). Good thing ME1 is on Games on Demand.


Bioshock 2

Bioshock was a game that really put me in awe of creating a world from scratch and making you feel like you were apart of it, even if it is basically System Shock for the brave new world and steam punk. Andrew Ryan's zany little dystopia and the little punk you play as you wander the broken streets filled with psychopaths and Big Daddies. But we all thought the same thing when number two was announced: what the hell? That's because the ending tied itself pretty much with a nice little bow. A sequel? Really? Oh, nevermind, it goes farther then just a chronological sequel. So you play as the prototype Big Daddy waking up into a brave new Rapture with a new dictator in the big seat. Sounds reasonable. The ambient is still there, as Rapture is apparently reborn into something that'll make experiencing again interesting (literally reborn, like in a cultish kind of way). Not to mention dual wielding plasmids and guns for once. Even though Kevin isn't onboard on this one, this looks like it'll successfully ride on the success on it's forefather, though we all know it's quite a big shadow it's casting.

Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver

Hey! It's Pokemon! What do you expect? Not only is it a cash cow but it's a relevant cash cow. Besides, I'll be getting updates online features (I refuse to get Platinum, but that meant missing out on the new Wifi lobbies), experience that wow factor of exploring the Red and Blue land as well (what a great twist that was the first time around) plus there's the Pokewalker.



"OH GODDAMMIT! There goes my life."

This little bugger carries exactly one pokemon courtesy of the DS' wireless capability. Once comfortably on, it sense every brisk step you make, somehow converting that kinetic energy you exerted on that one step forward into useful points that are somehow meaningful to you. This page may explain it better, but honestly, who cares. It's pokemon, so there's no doubting how addictive it'll be. Can you believe it? What is essentially a Tamagotchi is swining my vote to purchase pokemon.

No comments: